Article by Shailja Kapur
Sohum (Soham) is the Universal mantra, the sound of the breath. It is derived from the Sanskrit words So and Hum.
“So” means “that” and “Hum” means “I”, “I Am”, true self. So Hum means I AM THAT. “THAT” is the Creator, Source or the Absolute.
It is the natural mantra of all human bodies as it repeats itself; it is the mantra of breath.
Hum means I AM THAT. “THAT” is the Creator, Source or the Absolute. It is the natural mantra of all human bodies as it repeats itself; it is the mantra of breath.
We inhale with the sound “So” and exhale with the sound “Hum”. We all human beings are attuned to this rhythm but due to the lack of awareness, it gets unnoticed. Therefore we perform it unconsciously.
So Hum meditation is the natural Yoga. The goal of the “So Hum” meditation is the union of the Self with the Absolute. There are quite a few techniques of practicing this meditation with different approaches.
I would like to share my approach towards this meditation which is well known for inner peace and much more.
How to do a So Hum meditation:
Practice it in a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Start the meditation with a Prayer. This practice is done silently by repeating the mantra in your mind. The Soooo sound is a bit shorter than the Hummmmmm sound.
Step 1: Positioning
• Sit in a stable comfortable position (Sukhasana or Padamasana, if possible).
• The body should be relaxed with the spine straight.
• To get maximum benefits from the meditation do it with a relaxed body, spine erected and chin slightly down.
Perform Gyan Mudra with palms facing up by touching the tip of the index finger with the thumb and the rest of the fingers straight.
• Close your eyes.
Step 2: Bring Awareness to the Breath
• Breathe normally through the nose. Let your attention to the sound and rhythm of your breathing. Be a silent observer and listener.
• Do comfortable smooth, slow inhales and exhales through the nose.
• Inhale silently with “So” or say it in your mind and bring the thought that I am possessing or retention the Universal Life Force Energy.
• Exhale silently with “Hum” or say it in your mind and bring the intent that you are exhaling all your egos, negative energies.
• Once you are in tune with the So Hum rhythm, bring your deep awareness to “Who Am I” who is governing us.
• When you reached the stage where you feel that you are filled with the Prana, the Universal Life Force Energy and all negative energies are transmuted; bring the feeling and intent “I Am That or I Am One with the Universe”.
• Sit stable while continuing to listen to the So Hum sound.
• Try not to get distracted by any other sound or thought.
• If distraction happens then bring your awareness back to the breathing and concentrate again on the sound and rhythm of your breathing. While inhaling concentrate on the sound of Soooo. While exhaling concentrate on the sound of Hummmmmm.
• As you go deeper into the meditation, breathing will get longer and you will feel more focused.
• The feeling of “I Am That” will get very intense and more powerful. This makes you “One” with the Universe.
• Your whole concentration will be on the breathing process and you are in total control of your breath.
• Do it with awareness and full devotion for at least 10 minutes or as long as you are comfortable. You can set a timer if you prefer. With practice, you can extend the time of meditation.
Step 3: Closing the session
• Open your eyes and bring your awareness to the outer environment.
• Sit stable for a while and allow this energy to settle. Experience and feel the effectiveness of the meditation on you.• Then wiggle your hands and toes.
• Rub your hands together; give this energy of the warm hands to the eyes and the face by placing your palms on them. This practice helps in bringing you back to the present quickly as it activates nerve endings.
• End the meditation with a Prayer.
• This practice helps to raise the consciousness of being whole and complete. Welcome yourself to the Higher Dimensions of your True self.
• Thank the source to give you the experience of “I AM THAT” as we are all connected.
• The regular practice will increase insights and clarity about your True Self.
Benefits of So Hum meditation:
1. Brings inner peace and calmness as it stabilizes the body and mind. We can evolve at soul level when our body and mind are balanced.
2. Helps those who suffer from Insomnia (sleeping difficulties).
3. Reduces stress level as this brings mental peace and full body deep relaxation.
4. This practice involves regulated breathing which helps in improving blood circulation.
5. Raises the practitioner level of attentiveness, awareness and concentration which results in enhanced memory and the ability to focus.
6. It is beneficial for those who suffer from digestive disorders whether indigestion or constipation.
This is a very simple and powerful healing meditation which raises our dimensions. As you go deeper into this practice it helps to shift your consciousness and let you merge in Divine consciousness.
For any meditation, commitment to the regular practice brings tremendous benefits. This practice should be done with a one pointed awareness by watching your breath. We must live our
We must live our life with an Attitude of Gratitude and always count our blessings.
I believe this meditation is the “Journey of your inner self to the Higher Dimensions” that makes you whole and complete and ONE with the Universe. I bow at the lotus feet of my “Guru Ji” for his divine guidance and blessings.OM
Shailja Kapur is a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Healer. She got passion for various Reiki practices and other healing modalities. She also practices Candle Healing, Distant Healing, Crystal Healing, Dowsing, Magnified Healing, Yoga and Guided Meditation. She always felt a strong connection with Reiki. She had started practicing Reiki since her childhood without knowing what she used to do is called Reiki. As possibilities are endless with Reiki, her enthusiasm to experiment Reiki and share her experiences with the world. She believes self- purification, self-dedication and selflessness enhances your Reiki experiences. Shailja can be reached via her e-mail address email@example.com.